If you are thinking about selling your home and want to know the first step to take, have a glance at Realtor.com’s 7-step selling plan for homeowners.
The plan is presented in two formats, one that delves deeply into specifics and a general outline for those who have been this route before. In either case, the plan is an informative, helpful starting point for anyone who is thinking about putting their home on the market in 2015.
As you peruse each step, just click on the end link if you want more information about that particular aspect of the process. While the steps are listed in a semblance of chronological order, perhaps numbers one and two could be switched, which would put “finding a realtor” at the top. Here’s a summary of the steps for home sellers:
- Preliminary prep work: This step involves tasks like cleaning the place from top to bottom, inside and out, in order to make it look its very best. Take an introspective look too, and examine why you are selling and what you think potential buyers will be looking for when they view your home.
- Hire a professional realtor: Perhaps the most crucial step of the entire process. You can actually do this first. That way, you’ll get sound advice from day one about all the important details.
- Set your asking price: This number is best arrived at after a bit of research and discussion with your realtor.
- Market the home: Consider using online listings and word-of-mouth to sell your home. Again, this is one area where the realtor is indispensable.
- Negotiate with prospective buyers: Don’t be an immovable object when it comes to price. A little “wiggle room” will give you some valuable negotiating tools.
- Settle: You’re almost done, but you’ll need to make certain that every detail has been attended to.
- Arrange your move-out: Be a smart seller and make the home ready for the next occupant.
If you plan to sell your home in 2015, keep in mind that organization is the most important part of the deal. By hiring a realtor and covering all the major bases of the selling process, you’ll be more likely to end up getting the price you want within a reasonable time frame. Happy selling!