Turn your ordinary backyard into an outdoor oasis, impress your guests with an entertainment space reminiscent of a beach paradise, or create your own private retreat right in your backyard and escape after a long day. Take a look at how you can improve your outdoor space and make your home the go-to destination for events.
- Create Entertainment Spaces—Create designated sections for entertaining and dining right in the backyard. These spaces can be created using pergolas covered in luscious ivy or a chic gazebo.
- Add an Outdoor Kitchen—Entertaining outdoors is made even more enjoyable when friends and family can gather around the table and talk while preparing the meal. Outdoor kitchens make cooking easier because hot dishes and silverware don’t have to be carried through the house to the backyard. Having an outdoor kitchen means having everything you need at your disposal.
- Create Shade—Provide yourself, and your guests, a cool retreat from the blazing sun. Rather than using a single large umbrella, use a pergola or arbor adorned with flowering plants and blooming vines.
- Create Privacy—True relaxation cannot be achieved if there isn’t a sense of privacy. If your home doesn’t have a fully enclosed backyard, there are still ways to achieve a feeling of enclosure. Use tall hedges or leafy bamboo if a fence is too restricting. Garden walls are easy to have installed, and offer both privacy and picturesque design.
- Install a Spa—For a cool way to relax, install a spa in the backyard. A spa is roughly half the size of most swimming pools, so they don’t take up a lot of backyard space. Spas are a luxurious addition to any home, and increase a home’s value. Add a waterfall to your spa and your backyard will be paradise!
- Add Water Elements—When trying to recreate the feeling of paradise, one cannot forego the sound of running water. Add a bubbling fountain to your backyard or a waterfall feature and calm the senses. Water is a soothing sound, and the sound of it will put any homeowner at ease.
- Outdoor Lighting—Entertainment spaces must have adequate lighting, so be sure to invest in weather resistant outdoor lights. Fireplaces offer warmth in the evening and a beautiful picture. Fire pits can be moved around a backyard space frequently, making them low commitment.
- Add More Green—Paradise is evocative of lush greenery, so plant a variety of plants, flowers, and shrubs to create a beautiful mix of color, texture, and height. Even in California, where droughts are common, you may still create and maintain a garden paradise. For a list of drought friendly plants, visit this website.
Creating an outdoor oasis may involve a little design flair, but the payoff is immense. A home is a cozy retreat from the struggles and hard work of the everyday, so why not make the backyard a vacation? You’ll have a space to calm the senses and your stress will simply melt away!