The California weather is gorgeous, and you may have many events coming up this month of June. There are many delicious fruits and veggies in season this month that are being harvested, so take advantage and use them in your next recipe.
The California fruit currently in season are figs, plums, peaches, lemons, grapes, apricots, cantaloupe, avocado, oranges, cherries, raspberries, strawberries, nectarines, and watermelon.
The veggies that are being harvested in June include artichokes, broccoli, kale, asparagus, corn, bell peppers, spinach, cauliflower, cucumbers, chili peppers, garlic, carrots, leeks, and potatoes.
There are many benefits to buying and consuming in season fruits and veggies.
Take a look at a few of the benefits:
- Flavor: By using harvested produce in your recipes, you’re eating the best tasting, optimal version of that fruit or veggie. Produce that is sold at just the right time is far more flavorful and delicious than it would be any other season.
- Health and Nutrition: When it comes to nutrition, in season fruits and veggies have higher nutritional value because they’re more likely retain nutrients. For example, fruit that are high in antioxidants, like Vitamin-C, are healthy for you. But that particular nutrient is only viable for a short period of time. In addition to that, produce out of season are irradiated and covered in wax to last longer.
- Support Local Farmers: Produce that is harvested and consumed in season are more likely to be obtained from local farmers than shipped from overseas.
- Eco-Friendly: Buying in season produce that is locally sourced from a farmer’s market reduces the use of transportation and thus fossil fuel emissions.
- Economical: In season fruits and veggies are much cheaper than if they were not currently being harvested. Abundance means the price goes down, so take advantage of the sales!