One of my roles as an Encinitas Realtor is to dispel common real estate myths. So today, an Encinitas Realtor will be helping you navigate through some of the common misconceptions associated with home improvement choices and how, in some cases, they may actually decrease the value of your home.
Here are some of those common home improvement myths:
- You will add value no matter what improvements you make – It is true that many remodeling projects will make your Encinitas home more valuable, but many may be a turn-off for potential buyers. An example would be converting two smaller bedrooms into one large room. While this may suit your current needs, a future buyer may prefer having the two smaller rooms and thus your home loses value.
- More money in materials means more money back on the sale – Over-improving ones home with only high-end materials can backfire. If you over-improve your home when compared to other homes in the neighborhood, you may end up chasing away cost-conscious buyers.
- More square footage means more value – Simply finishing a basement or attic will not necessarily mean that the home is more valuable. Adding square footage that is usable for other purposes than just storage will add value to your home, and if you choose to finish your attic or basement, make sure it is up to the quality of the rest of your home.
- Interior improvements are better than exterior improvements – If the exterior of your home in Encinitas has been neglected and does not offer curb appeal, then it may not matter how much work has been done inside, and the time and money you put into interior improvements may be completely negated. Make sure the outside of your home reflects all of the interior improvements you have made as well.
- Paint covers EVERYTHING – If you think you can cover up that dry rot or damage, mold issues, and insect infestation with paint, you’ve got another thing coming; potentially a lawsuit or liability for lack of disclosure. Be forthcoming with the buyer on these issues or take care of them yourself, the right way.
These are just a few of the Top 10 Home Improvement Myths, so make sure you learn about all of these potential misconceptions before you start making improvements to your home for sale in Encinitas.
Consult with an Encinitas Realtor before you buy a home in Encinitas or attempt to sell your home. #encinitasrealtor