If you enjoyed carving pumpkins as much as I did over the weekend there are plenty of things you can do with the left over seeds to make tasty treats in your Encinitas home. Once roasted, pumpkin seeds can be combined with other ingredients as a healthy snack incorporating trail mix to provide an energy boost any time of the day or night. I would like to share a great recipe I found which offers a nutritious and tasty alternative to many packaged snacks. First you will need to clean and rinse the seeds picking out any remaining pulp. Spread the seeds in a single layer and allow them to dry overnight. After they are thoroughly dried toss the pumpkin seeds with olive oil or butter. Sprinkle with salt and garlic powder or your choice of seasonings. Bake at 250-300 degrees, checking and tossing the seeds every 10 minutes. Continue baking until the seeds are slightly browned.
Once the seed are cooled you can add them to the trail mix recipe below:
- Select an assortment of your favorite breakfast cereals as the primary ingredient for your trail mix. Cereals such as Honey Nut Cheerios, Raisin Bran, or granola are great choices for this
- Choose nut products that will compliment the pumpkin seeds. Almonds, cashews and sunflower seeds provide added texture and flavor. You can also add pretzels, sesame sticks or soy nuts.
- Grab an assortment of dried fruits you would like to add to your mix. Dried fruits such as Banana chips, raisins or dried apricots taste great when mixed with pumpkin seeds.
- Choose a sweet addition to finalize the the mixture such as candy corn,chocolate chips or M&Ms.
- Pour all ingredients into a large mixing bowl and stir.
- Once evenly mixed, you can add a little honey if you like your trail mix to be clumpy
- Divide the trail mix into individual zip lock bags and enjoy for the week to come!