Now is the time to go apple picking! The orchards are brimming with numerous varieties of apples. If you’ve already gone apple picking with the family, then you have plenty of delicious fruit you handpicked yourself.
Why not use a few apples to make scrumptious drinks that everyone will love? Since autumn has officially started, make the most of the season by making some homemade apple cider for your family, friends, or coworkers. Go ahead and roll up those sleeves because this easy recipe will both comfort and delight you.
Get Your Ingredients Ready
- 10-12 Fresh Apples (Use any variety of apples you want. This recipe originally used a combination of tart and sweet apples)
- 2 Oranges (cut into quarters)
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tablespoon cloves (optional: 1 teaspoon whole allspice and 1 whole nutmeg)
- 16 cups water
- ½ cup maple syrup, brown sugar, or alternative sweetener
- Fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth
Choose How You Would Like to Make Apple Cider
This homemade apple cider recipe is so versatile, as you could make it on the stovetop, in a crock-pot, or with an instant pot! The version that will be covered here will be the slow cooker version.
This recipe is made for 12 servings, and the total prep and cooking time is 190 minutes (a little over 3 hours). If you would like a smaller batch of cider, simply halve the recipe ingredients.
Putting it All Together
To get started on your deliciously delightful homemade apple cider, simply get your 6-quart slow cooker and follow these 6 easy steps!
- Getting Started: Add your fruit and spices first into the crock-pot, then the water (note: make sure to leave 1-2 inches of space at the top).
- Simmer: Cook the homemade apple cider on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours. Simmer until the apples are soft.
- Get Mashing: Use a potato masher or any other appropriate tool to mash the fruit inside the slow cooker. This step will release even more flavor! Once you’re done, cover the crock-pot back up and let it keep simmering.
- Strain the Cider: Use the cheesecloth or mesh strainer to strain out the cider. Squeeze the cloth to release all excess liquid and discard the fruit and spices.
- Add Sweetener: Add in the sweetener you chose.
- Serve: You’re all done! Your homemade apple cider is ready to enjoy! Make sure to serve warm, and if you’d like some presentation, top off glasses with orange slices or cinnamon sticks.
In six simple steps, you will have made delicious homemade apple cider that is sure to delight your friends and family!