Christmas is only 3 days away and all of Encinitas is in the Christmas spirit this year. I have seen a lot of houses decorated, people seem friendlier at the malls, and the grocery stores are stock full of food for Christmas dinner this year. Today I will take you through a nice selection of Christmas recipes from appetizers when your guests first arrive, Christmas dinner, and desert! If you are looking for a selection of cocktails for your party, then be sure to check yesterday’s post on holiday drinks. But first, let’s get started on the appetizers.
Be sure that everyone has a lot of space to walk throughout your Encinitas house, and have your serving areas all planned out appropriately. Try as best you can to arrange the seating so that everyone has enough table space for their appetizers. If you are going to have on a Christmas movie, the basketball game, or the football games on TV throughout the day, be sure to keep it on a lower volume so everyone can have nice conversations over your Christmas appetizers.
So lets get the Christmas appetizers rolling. This is arrangement of foods for the holidays needs a bit of preparation but your guests will love them. The Christmas appetizers should be placed on your serving areas just as your first set of guests come over to your Encinitas house. These are just some suggestions for appetizers, so feel free to add or subtract any of them.
Shrimp Platter: Definitely a must for your Christmas appetizers. They are a healthy and delicious way to warm up your appetite for Christmas dinner ahead. Plus, the nice red color from the shrimp tails and the cocktail sauce adds to the other colors of your decorated Encinitas house.
Cheese and Crackers: This is a simple yet always appreciated appetizer for Christmas, and you can choose any assortment of cheeses as you like. Go to your nearest deli in Encinitas and pick up some blocks of cheese, grab some crackers at the store, place some green and red Christmas napkins in some baskets, and you have another healthy Christmas appetizer that everyone can enjoy.
Spinach and Artichoke Dip: Who doesn’t love spinach and artichoke dip? Be sure to grab some of this yourself because I assure you, your guests will eat this up right away! The green color of the spinach will go great next to the red of the shrimp platter too. To get started on this spinach and artichoke recipe, you will need:
- 1 ½ cup of Thawed, Frozen Creamed Spinach
- 12 oz. Of Chopped, Canned Artichoke Hearts
- ½ tbsp of Minced Garlic
- 12 oz. Cream Cheese
- ¼ cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 tsp. Pepper
- ¼ cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- A Mixing Bowl, a Casserole Dish, and Pita Chips, Tortilla Chips, Bread, or Crackers
1. Heat your Oven to 350 degrees
2. Combine the Spinach and Artichoke Hearts with a fork, then add the garlic and mix
3. Add the Cream Cheese and Parmesan Cheese and mix thoroughly with a fork while adding the pepper
4. Pour the mixture into your casserole dish and sprinkle the Shredded Mozzarella cheese on top
5. Bake for 15 minutes in your oven
6. Serve while still warm, and remember to get some for yourself!
Do-It-Yourself Fondu: What better way to make a fun appetizer do the cooking and serving for you! If you don’t have a fondu set at home, just use a pot and some skewers. For some excellent fondu items to serve, use some fresh broccoli, carrots, sausages, bread, and some of those crackers or pita chips from the Spinach and Artichoke Dip. For this fondu recipe for your Christmas appetizers, you will need:
- 1 Clove Garlic
- ½ lb. Grated Swiss Cheese
- ½ lb. Grated Gruyere Cheese
- 2 tbsp. Cornstarch
- 1 cup Dry White Wine
- 1 tbsp. Lemon Juice or Squeezed Lemon Half
- Dash Nutmeg
- Dash Salt & Pepper
- 1 tbsp. Cherry Brandy
- ½ tsp. Dry Mustard
1. Peel and cut the garlic clove and rub the inside of your pot to get a fresh garlic taste right off the bat
2. Toss the cheeses with the cornstarch in a bowl
3. Put the wine in your pot and bring it to a simmer on your stove
4. Add the lemon juice or squeeze a half lemon in the pot
5. Take a handful of the cheese and stir in your pot until it melts. Add the rest of the cheese one handful at a time
6. Add the nutmeg, salt and pepper along with the cherry brandy and the dry mustard and stir all together
7. Keep the pot over a flame to keep warm, which is why a Fondu set is perfect.
8. Have your guests dip the vegetables and meat in the cheese for a delicious addition to your Christmas appetizers!
Your guests will love these Christmas appetizers right before the big dinner. So be sure to grab some of your Christmas appetizers yourself because these all will go fast!