Our washing machines can actually do so much more than we give them credit for. There are many other household messes that can be solved by using a washing machine other than just normal laundry and to prove that fact I bring you this article from HGTV on EIGHTEEN things that you can put in the washing machine that you wouldn’t have guessed. You can see all of them at that link but I will share just a few below:
- Car Mats: these are actually machine washable in warm water and hung to dry.
- Plastic Shower Curtains: wash these on cold and you will save tons of money by not buying new ones every time there is a buildup of soap scum. Wash in cold water and hang to dry.
- Yoga Mats: unless the care label says otherwise these, surprisingly, are machine washable on a delicate cycle and you can put it in the dryer on medium heat.
- Backpacks: canvas bags like backpacks and other bags like gym bags, purses, and reusable grocery bags are usually machine washable. Wash in warm water.
- Pillows: yes, pillows can be washed in the machine and they really ought to be. HGTV describes them perfectly when they say pillows are like big sponges that soak up tons of sweat, drool, and dead skin cells. Gross, right? Wash them in hot water with a cup of detergent and a cup of bleach. The fluffier pillows may need to be put through the dryer twice!